Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Experience of Unethical and Illegal Employment Practices at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles

While employed at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles I was the only employee to work weekends and there was no posted closing time for lunch at the Museum.  What that meant was there were numerous days in which I did not receive my lunch or rest breaks as required by law.  When I started working there the Executive Director gave me two very specific instructions, (1) she would not be paying me for any time worked over my regular 30 hours per week and (2) when I worked alone at the Museum I was to take my lunch break by simply hanging a sign on the door notifying visitors that the Museum would be closed for half an hour.  There were many days in which this was not realistically possible because of the number of visitors that came into the Museum throughout the day.  While I worked there I was never paid for my lunch or rest breaks I did not receive, as required by law.

When I inquired as to how I could reasonably expect to get my lunch and rest breaks on days I worked alone I was fired.

Thankfully, I had already submitted my wage claim, retaliation claims, and labor law violations by the time I was wrongfully terminated.