Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Wage Theft Wedding Dress Project

What is a Wage Theft Wedding Dress?  It is my current textile art project I'm working on.  It's ugly because wage theft is ugly and it represents the fact that one should not have to commit themselves to wage theft in order to get or keep a job.  Unfortunately, I have experienced this first hand at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles while employed there from 10/2013-8/2014.  I am disgusted at the fact that I am due the equivalent of one months wages for the ten months I worked there.

My employer took advantage of me and this is not something anyone should have to go through.

Thankfully the CA Labor Commissioner has a satellite office just a short walk away.  I filed a wage claim (i.e. wage theft), 3 retaliation complaints, and 2 labor law violations before I was wrongfully terminated.  Why was I fired?  Because I stood up for my labor rights and this angered the Executive Director.

I will post pictures of my Wage Theft Wedding Dress once I have it completed and I will also have a Foot Stomping on a date to be announced.  I will welcome all who want to stomp their foot on my wedding dress to protest the practice of wage theft and other labor law violations.