Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Goodbye Dick Costolo and Thanks for Reading my Tweets!

Today is Dick Costolo's last day as CEO of Twitter.  He did a great job and I will miss posting Tweets to him.  I'm fairly certain he has been reading the Tweets I've been sending to him because this article published last night on The Guardian's website contains an interesting quote of something Dick said:



But wait a minute!  That's funny Dick should be bringing up the issue of Article 19 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights!  Why?  Because I was Tweeting to Dick and Twitter's government, @gov, account just last month about article 19 violations on Twitter.  As a matter of fact, I've been doing a lot of Tweeting to a number of folks over at Twitter regarding how their platform fails to uphold the law once public officials and agencies sign on, but Dick never raised the issue in the past.  Yet, once I start making noise he resigns (no fault of my own) and then brings up the very same UN Human Rights article I mentioned.




I'd like to think that I helped feed Dick some important information that made him sound good at the 2015 Talking About Twitter Conference.  I'd like to think that he's been reading my other blog entries, too!

But before we get all goosebumpy over Dick's reference to the UN's Declaration of Human Rights let's take a look at a recent news article:

The problem with Nicola Sturgeon, the current First Minister of Scotland and the leader of the Scottish National Party, is that she is notorious for blocking Twitter users with whom she disagrees with.

In response to the article I sent this Tweet to Bruce Daisley, Twitter's European chief:


Obviously, the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights meant nothing to Mr. Daisley and he was still quite pleased to bestow upon Ms. Sturgeon the honors of being known as the "most savvy UK politician on the social media platform."  So much for these people's freedom of expression that the UN would like to enforce.  Here's an example of just a few complaints that you will find on Twitter regarding Nicola Sturgeon's use of the Twitter blocking feature: